Saturday, February 02, 2008

Bill Shorey .... get a life
Bill Shorey is a wonderful friend. I read an article on Bill a few years ago in the Columbus paper and knew immediately he was a kindred spirit, a rebel and a passionate follower of Christ. The very next week, I ran into him at Panera Bread with Cary Jones, introduced myself and invited him to lunch. Our friendship took off at that point. We've shared some great times over the past few years, have spent time in Colorado and now worship together.

Bill has a blog that is excellent. It was totally the inspiration for my blog and I even copied the theme of his site - enjoying the adventure - for mine "chasing the adventure". his is www.enjoyingtheadventure.blogspot.com. Read it. Bill's writing is God inspired. He is a poet. His writing is incredibly talented.

But...

Bill has a problem. As you'll read on his blog from today, he is challenging me. Bill is from Maine. He is a yankee through and through. He carries a thick new england accent. I love him for it. But he is waaaay too attached to his beloved Boston Red Sox. Last fall he was crowing about the Sox and how they were a team of destiny. Yeh, yeh, yeh, blah, blah, blah. Dumb me, I decided to rile him with a challenge that the Colorado Rockies would beat the Sox. This set him off like a roman candle. Needless to say, he won the bet and he has never let me forget it -- in fact, he addresses this on his blog today. Now, with his (all of a sudden?) beloved Boston Patriots at 17-0 and a day away from the super bowl, my man Bill is crowing again. As if I care! My wife just asked me who I wanted to win the Super Bowl and I said, "I really don't care but now, I want the Giants to win just to aggravate Bill".

Now he is already moving on past football to basketball and his "beloved" Celtics have the best record in the NBA and he is challenging me on the basketball. I don't know about you but I could give a rat's ___ about the NBA. Thug vs. Thug. Whoever wins the thing is still a Thug.

Christ came as the Great Liberator to set the captives free. Bill, by God's great Grace, you have been set free. You live in the South now my friend ... God's country. You've been set free of the land of your icy captivity. No more Soda Pop, no more "Yous guys", no more Kennedy-liberal NE politics ... no Bill, you have been liberated. God picked you out of that icy, bleak world and has dropped you into the land of lush lawns, tall pines, sweet tea, Auburn football, "yes ma'am", "y'all", fried chicken, country music and the Augusta azaleas of the Masters. You are free Bill. Embrace the South. Put a big AU sticker on the back of the Explorer and a Braves hat on your head and bow down and thank God that you are free.

Free at last! Long live the South.
p.s. Go giants!

Soar!

1 comment:

ledgesinme said...

I feel like I just read "Poor Richard's Almanac." Come to think of it they are both pretty random in their predictions. Let me clarify a few things.
1. The Patriots are 18-0, and soon to be 19-0.
2. You know that you want the Giants to lose. If there is anything worse than living in Massachusetts it is being from New York!
3. When you are kayaking down the beautiful Penobscot River, in Maine next summer and it is 70-80 degrees, and no humidity, and eagles majestically keeping a watchful eye out for food, and a 5 pound bass is pulling you and your kayak UP the river, and back in Georgia it is hotter than the hinges on the door to hell, I will ask you what you think of the birthplace of this yankee.

Let me tell you what your response will be: Through eyes rimmed in tears, and shoulders drooped in shame, you will say "Bill you are always right, and dang it, goshdarn it, dagnabbit, this place is slap full of beauty, and I'm fixin to buy me a cabin up here in just a cotton-pickin' minute!"