Thursday, May 29, 2008

Quick addition on servant leadership
Then point I was driving at in the prior post was on getting away from the label "servant leader". It is being overused in business, the church and society. The presumption with the phrase "servant leader" is "I am a leader". I am going at this saying even to say "I am a leader" is putting the focus on "me". The best servant leaders are those that simply, quietly serve. Serve is the key -- not labeling it as "I am leading you by serving you".

I just put down the Wall Street Journal and something struck me. There was an ad for an upcoming symposium on the "deal makers" and the CEO of Bank of America is featured. He is coming to NYC to speak on his accomplishments in the area of buying other companies. I'm not really throwing stones at Ken Lewis (He is from Columbus) but rather I am asking "why?" Why would he take a day off from running the country's biggest bank to go to NY to speak to other executives on the "art of the deal"? What is in it for him? What does this have to do with taking care of employees, customers and shareholders?

I guess I am saying why don't these CEO's take the more humble approach. Run the company, do the right thing for the employees, customers and shareholders vs. going on the lecture circuit to boast about their deal-making prowess.

I'm just wondering where the humility is? Sorry to beat this horse...

Soar!

No comments: