Monday, November 27, 2006

Wow !
The title of my blog is "Chasing the Adventure" and I've put a few posts up about my hunting adventure. I love nature and love being outside. The woods truly are God's sanctuary. It is amazing to sit and watch nature. My deer hunting is clearly "chasing the adventure".

I hunted a good bit over the Thanksgiving weekend. Friday morning a nice 8-point walked right up to my stand - 15 feet in front of me. I could have shot him but he was young and I decided to let him go. That was hard to do. I also saw a 4-point and 2 spikes.

Sunday - yes, I skipped church! - my area slowed down and I only saw 1 doe. I did watch a turkey and had a goose fly right over my stand through the tops of the pines. But, that said, my "rookie" instincts were telling me my days in the pines were at an end. I needed to move my stand.

I crossed over to the other side of this 1100 acres and followed a road down toward a small creek. There is a large ridge across from the creek and the bottom area is loaded with acorn producing hardwoods. It is an area I've always thought looked conducive to deer. I parked my truck and walked up to the edge of the creek (still in camo) and no sooner than I got to the banks of the creek than did a large 10-point come crashing down the ridge chasing a doe.

About 30 yards in front of me, he hung a sharp right and bugged out away from me sniffing/blowing as he chased her. A sniff sounds like loud, squawking, hoarse chirp of a really big squirrel. Man, what a rush. So I crossed over the creek and as soon as I did, a 6-point came down the ridge chasing the 10-point and the doe - running, with his tounge hanging out. He ran right up to me and stood about 10 feet away from me. We stared at each other for a minute or so and then I moved and he sniffed/blew and crashed across the creek.

I followed him down back across the creek and as soon as I was back across the other side, I heard something else coming down the ridge behind me. A nice 8-point ran right up to the edge of the creek. He stopped and stared at me for another minute and at one point, he stomped his feet in an aggressive move to tell me he was the boss. For a minute there, I thought I was about to be on the next episode of "When animals attack". Finally, he bolted off in the same direction as the big 10-point.

Wow! What a thrill. 3 nice buck in one 2 minute spell. I was totally captivated. Needless to say, I went back and took down my stand and moved it down into this creek bottom!

If I never kill a deer, I have had the time of my life "chasing this adventure".

Soar!

No comments: