Saturday, October 06, 2007

God's Process
God delivered Elijah. He sent him to the safety of a brook with fresh water and the ravens brought him meat and bread daily. Then God moved Elijah and sent him to a widow and once again, God provided. Later in the story, God has Elijah test the people's faith in Baal. Baal didn't show up at the test. God did. God then had Elijah destroy the prophets of Baal.

Hearing this story, Jezebel puts out a death warrant on Elijah.

After all God had done for Elijah, what would you expect him to do at the threat of a crazy woman? Well, what he did was run. He ran and hid and tells the Lord, "I am no better than my ancestors. I have had enough Lord, take my life." Elijah all of sudden has shifted from obediently following God into the mode of being results oriented. "I'm no better than my ancestors!" God never asked for performance from Elijah - He just asked for faithful obedience and Elijah delivered - until this point in the story.

But God doesn't kill Elijah. Instead He provides a warm fire, fresh bread and water. What a good God we have.

The question for us is, "Am I doing what God requires me to do - or - am I doing what I want to do? Am I chasing my results for my glory or His glory?" That is a haunting question.

In my business - I am performance oriented. Why? Well, clients expect it but it is a dangerous trap. Very quickly, we can forget our purpose. Is my purpose totally performance oriented? Or, is my performance oriented toward ministry? Do I go to work every day trying to "perform" for man or minister to him?

When we shape our daily lives around this perspective - and God's process, our entire outlook changes. God's process for Elijah wasn't for "performance" it was for obedience..."Just follow me Elijah and I WILL take care of you" (my words). Going to work each day, God says the same thing to us..."Just follow Me _________ and I WILL take care of you."

Soar!

No comments: