Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Brokenhearted
I just hung up the phone with a former co-worker and in his parting comment, he took a shot at me about a mutual client, "Listen, they are saying they will stay with you ... for now ... but they might look to do something different soon." Like a knife in the gut.

The client has told me, "I am with you" and I have to take him at his word. But the words of my former co-worker stung. I know what it is - his attempt to let me know he is in control of the situation and that I am just lucky to be hanging on. The enemy jumped all over that and started to tear at me.

Then I opened my daily email from John Eldredge...

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters,
He restores my soul.

He heals up the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (PS 147:3)

"For some reason this has been lost in the recent offerings of the church. Perhaps it has been our pride, which has kept us from admitting we are broken. Perhaps its been the church's almost total focus on sin and the cross. But the Scripture is abundant and clear: Christ came not only to pardon us, but to heal us. He wants the glory restored. Jesus can and wants to heal your heart."

I read that within 15 seconds of hanging up the phone. The issue isn't my coworker or his insecurity or his jab at me. The issue is my heart. It is broken. I need healing and restoration and that ONLY comes from Christ. He wants me fully restored and living the abundant life - not trapped by "I'm just a lowly sinner saved by grace," or, "This is a tough life, full of hardships and trials and stress". NO, NO, NO! If we focus on our pity, we remain in pity. If we focus on our pain, we remain in pain. If we focus on the jabs of others, we remain on defense.

He came to set us FREE of all that. Free. Free and fully restored - fully restored to where we don't even have to "rise above all that pettiness" - we don't have to rise above it because we don't ever have to get down in it. We are restored!

Soar!

3 comments:

ledgesinme said...

Richard,

Thank you for your blog. You are standing tall.

Bill

Anonymous said...

i have to remind myself all the time that GOD did not put me here to fail. I -we - have to keep swinging, keep pushing forward - not mindlessly, but with purpose - and the reward of having done my best will be given. It is not the "victory" of one client or another, but the challenge of the HUNT that gives joy and meaning to life - when i let it.

GB

Hawk Soars said...

thank you for this and for your constant encouragement. you are so right. my focus in these battles always comes back to the client - not my former co-workers. I am here to do the right thing for my client - those entrusted to me by God. That helps keep me focused. You are a good friend. Thank you.