Sunday, June 24, 2007

Follow On
Let me follow on to the post yesterday contrasting what Christ Community is doing to what I have experienced in other churches. It is truly unique. But as I re-read what I wrote this morning it struck me as a bit critical of the other church and that was not my intention.

My intention was to focus on the contrast between the two. It is striking. When I was a young believer, we often attended Charles Stanley's First Baptist in Atlanta. My parents became believers and pulled out of the "family" church to try to find "God's" church. We looked in a lot of places and very often, drove to Atlanta to First Baptist. Back then, Stanley's church was growing like gangbusters and they were in a battle to buy property around their Midtown campus. The foul one was working hard to stop them. Roadblocks were often encountered and last minute deadlines were often faced to buy this tract of land or this adjoining building. Once that property came and went, it was too late - some office tower or hotel would be constructed and there was no turning back. First Baptist was landlocked and growing like a weed and they had to act.

But, they waited on God.

I was in a service where they had to raise $________ by Monday or else they would loose the right to buy _____ property. There was no pressure. No one blocked the doors and no one made everyone come up front (I've been in a church where I've seen that happen). Stanley made the call and then, sat back and waited on God. Members had time to prepare. They had time to pray as a family. God moved.

Women came forward with wedding diamonds. Couples came forward with car titles and stock certificates. People deeded other land in the City so FBC could sell it and use the money to buy the adjoining property.

Debt was never mentioned. "Either we raised this money and God moves here - or - we pass and ask God 'what next?'" There was none of the "Oh we raised $4mm and we have our bank to make up the next $8mm..."

They raised every penny God needed to do this work. They sat back and let God move. He did.

Soar!

No comments: