Saturday, May 27, 2006

Don't Waste Your Life
I am more alive today than I have been in years, perhaps decades. Yet, I was more dead than I can ever recall just three months ago. Praise the good Lord! I was dead. Dead to my senses. Dead to my work. Dead to my family. Dead to the amazing, stunning, captivating, empowering God that loves me.

Wake up men. Wake up.

Life is surging all around you. Are you asleep? In John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life, he gives credit to CS Lewis for leading him to his awakening. "Lewis gave me an intense sense of the "realness" of things. The preciousness of this is hard to communicate. To wake up in the morning and be aware of the firmness of the mattress, the warmth of the sun's rays, the sound of the clock ticking, the sheer being of things. He helped me become alive to life. He helped me see what is there in the world - things that, if we didn't have, we would pay a million dollars to have, but having them, we ignore."

Think about that last sentence. Really think about it. Look at my blog page and study the picture of that red-tailed hawk. Look at it's colors and details. Marvel at the beauty of it's design. My awakening is to things like the two hawks nesting on my property. It is to the sweetness of my little girl saying the word "Daddy". It is to sitting on a Saturday morning with my stunning wife drinking coffee. It is to the sense and feel of working my butt off in the yard, moving rock, building paths, planting gardens -- dripping with salty sweat. It is awakening to the absolute, unconditional love of my black lab, Bo. It is to the incredible opportunity my career affords me to touch lives and minister to people. It is to the twenty, 7th grade boys that faithfully show up each Wednesday morning at 7:15am to listen to my feeble attempts to lead their Bible study.

Imagine for a moment if I were blind or deaf or handicapped...imagine what I would pay (millions) for just one chance to experience all these things God has laid before my feet to experience every day.

And yet, just 3 months ago, I was dead to this. Asleep.

This is the barbaric call God is driving me to. We only get one pass at life men...what are you waiting for? I am going to do anything God will allow me to help other men wake up and soar.

No comments: